Local law firm serving the West Metro and St. Cloud
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Criminal defense
  4.  » Preparing to refute drug charges in court

Preparing to refute drug charges in court

On Behalf of | Aug 28, 2021 | Criminal defense |

If a Minnesota police officer arrests you, the next weeks or months of your life might be quite stressful. This may be especially true if you wind up facing drug charges. While no two cases are exactly the same, penalties under conviction are often severe. It’s important to remember, however, that every person charged with a drug crime is guaranteed an opportunity to present a defense in court.  

There may be several defense options available 

Getting arrested and charged with a crime can be frightening. It’s also troublesome to consider what the future may hold, especially if things don’t go your way in court. There are often several different defense strategies available that might help a defendant mitigate his or her circumstances whether or not the court hands down a conviction.  

Lack of evidence, unlawful search and seizure, and more 

It’s not enough for police to suspect you of a drug crime or to submit a substance they found during a search, stating that they believe it is an illegal drug. If prosecutors file charges against you, they must be able to confirm through laboratory testing that the substance is, in fact, what they claim it to be. If a person’s home, person or property was unlawfully searched, it might be possible to request a case dismissal. If the court determines that there’s a lack of evidence to proceed to trial or that a personal rights violation has taken place, the judge overseeing a particular case might dismiss or rule that certain evidence is inadmissible. 

You don’t have to go it alone in court 

Not only does Minnesota law guarantee you an opportunity to refute criminal charges, you also have a right to act alongside legal representation in court. At Olson Law, LLC, our experienced legal team is committed to seeking creative and effective solutions to drug charges. You can request a meeting by filling out the contact form located on our website for your convenience.