Local law firm serving the West Metro and St. Cloud
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Criminal Defense
  4.  » Criminal Defense FAQs

Criminal Defense FAQs

Criminal charges can be very complex and frightening. You may be facing jail or prison time, in addition to steep fines. You may be concerned about how a criminal charge will affect your job, your family and your reputation in the community. At Olson Law LLC, we can help. We welcome you to contact us to schedule a free initial consultation, in which we can answer your questions. Call us at 763-515-8013, or schedule online.

We have also answered several of the more common questions we receive below.

The police officer claims I failed the breath test. Should I plead guilty?

Not necessarily. There are many factors to a DWI case besides the breath test. A good defense attorney will review the facts to see if the officer had probable cause to pull you over, and if they performed appropriately during the stop. In addition, breath test results are often faulty due to mechanical or human error. When present, these facts and more can be used to get the charges reduced or dropped altogether.

My driver’s license was suspended because of a DWI arrest. Can I challenge the suspension?

Yes, but you must act quickly. Minnesota law gives you a limited time to file a challenge with the Commissioner of Public Safety. Your attorney can help you file this challenge and possibly restore full or partial driving privileges.

Don’t the police need to get a warrant before searching my vehicle?

A major exception to the search warrant requirement is when a police officer has probable cause to search a vehicle. “Probable cause” is an officer’s reasonable belief that one or more occupants of a vehicle have committed or are committing a crime. Probable cause can range from speeding or running a red light to arguably pretextual things like a broken tail light. Once they have stopped the vehicle, the officer has the right to search your vehicle even if you do not consent. However, if your defense attorney later finds that the officer lacked probable cause to conduct the search, any evidence they seized, such as drugs, could be thrown out of court.

Can I remove an old criminal conviction from my record?

Misdemeanor convictions, along with some felony convictions, can be expunged from your record, making it easier for you to get a job, apply for a loan or get accepted into college.

Call Us Today!

Contact us for a free, confidential consultation today: 763-515-8013. Expect a response within 24 hours or less. If you cannot travel to our office, we can come to you.

We are located in Buffalo, Minnesota, and represent clients throughout Wright County and the west Twin Cities metro area.