Local law firm serving the West Metro and St. Cloud
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. child custody
  4.  » Is your ex-spouse violating a custody order? Get help

Is your ex-spouse violating a custody order? Get help

On Behalf of | Jul 3, 2020 | child custody |

You love your children, but you have many responsibilities that make it hard for you to have custody of them as much as you’d like. You work a busy schedule that takes you across the United States, and you sometimes even travel out of the country.

At the same time, you feel that your ex-spouse is using your busy lifestyle against you. Even when you do have time to see your children, your ex sometimes makes excuses for why they can’t come to be with you. That’s a problem, especially since your time is already limited.

According to your custody schedule, you should be getting regular time with your children on weekends and on a few specific weeks throughout the year when you’re on vacation or in town longer than usual. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem that she is sticking to the plan. What should you do?

If the other parent is violating the custody order, you can take them to court

If there isn’t a good reason for the other parent restricting your visitation time (like a child being very ill or having a sudden emergency) then you may want to take them to court over the violation of your custody order. You can ask a judge to enforce the custody order and to take steps to guarantee that you will get the time you’ve been promised with your children.

If you’re worried about your custody schedule, your attorney can help you determine if going to court is the right option. Our website has more on what to do if you’re missing out on important time with your children.